Why Black Fungus infection Spreading in India?
The second wave of deadly Coronavirus hit India this year even more dangerously than the first one.
Many people lost their lives due to this virus around the globe. As if it was not enough, Covid patients faced further complications after their recovery or during the treatment.
And now doctors have found Black Fungus in some of Covid 19 patients’ bodies which is another very dangerous and rare fungal infection.
According to BBC News, doctors are reporting a rash of cases including this rare infection among the recovering and recovered patients of Covid 19.
What is Black Fungal Infection?
Black fungus, also called Mucormycosis or Zygomycosis, is a rare but dangerous fungal infection that is caused by a group of molds known as Mucormycetes. These decays live all around the environment, especially in soil, leaves or rotten wood.
People get this infection when they come in contact with these fungal spores in the environment.
They usually attract people who have health problems or on medication with lower immunity.
Types of Mucormycosis
There are five types of Mucormycosis which are,
- Rhinocerebral mucormycosis: It is an infection that develops in the sinuses which can spread to the brain. This is the most common form of infection in people who have had a kidney transplant and with uncontrolled diabetes.
- Pulmonary mucormycosis: It develops in the lungs and is most common in people with cancer or who had an organ transplant.
- Gastrointestinal mucormycosis: This one is most common in children more than adults, who had any surgery or medications with lower immunity.
- Cutaneous mucormycosis: It happens after the fungus enters the body through the cut or burn in the skin.
- Disseminated mucormycosis: This type of infection happens when the fungus spreads by the bloodstream and affects another part of the body. Mostly it affects the brain in the human body.
Visible Symptoms of Mucormycosis/ Black Fungus
The symptoms depend on where the infection is taking its place. The symptoms include:
- Face swelling on one side
- Chest pain
- Breathing problems
- Stomach ache
If you find any of these symptoms you need to contact your doctor right away.
Why Black fungus and Coronavirus cases reported in India
Nowadays, doctors have found that black fungal infection is developing in Covid positive patients’ bodies.
India is leading top on fighting with coronavirus due to that Government is imposing on the covid vaccine. Some doctors are claiming that this fungus can be triggered by the use of steroids to recover Covid 19 patients.
Sion Hospital located in Mumbai has reported around 24 cases of fungal infection in the past few months, said Dr. Renuka Bradoo, Head of the hospital’s ear nose, and throat wing. Most of them had to lose one eye because of this infection.
Dr. Raghuraj Hegde, an eye surgeon in Bangalore, tells a similar story. He confirms that he has seen 19 cases of the infection, in which most of which were young patients.
Black fungus is going along with the coronavirus and giving it a very good company in taking people’s lives. You need to be warned and follow all the precautions given by the government to prevent such infections and viruses.